Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Up in My Grill...

Project time again at the house, this time the goal was to build a bar-b-que for grilling our summer bounty of corn, squash, peppers and eggplant. I used the left over bricks from my raised garden beds.
The "grill" parts are actually old cake cooling racks, and I designed the grill around that size. I had a piece of wood cut at the hardware store, and got a long post and 'L' brackets to create a stand for the brick work. My carpentry skills are perhaps a little rusty, but the resulting table seems fairly strong...

Since the table has to support a pile of bricks, literally, I shored up each leg with the brackets. Each leg has 6 screws holding it on, and the resulting stand is fairly hefty.


First I covered he wood with a layer of cement so that the ashes from the charcoal won't burn out the table. It's been a while since I tried laying bricks, and have never worked with holey ones, so things got a little bit messy. It took a lot longer then I expected, if I were ever to try building a house I would be homeless a looong time...


Voilá! Four layers of bricks with spaces to slide the grill racks in and out. The rear of each rack is supported with a few nails set in the masonry. It's just like me - not really pretty, but a great cook! After letting it dry for a day to be totally set up we're gonna start making kebobs and BBQ tofu, bust out the beer and chill in the backyard... aah!

No comments: