Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hustle in Your Bustle

For quite some time I've been working on a new design for my steampunk shop. Based on a piece from my own costume, I wanted to make bustles that can be easily taken on and off, for things like getting in a car or riding a bicycle. My bustle even has a pocket on front, since women's clothing never has enough pockets

I start with an adjustable belt, add a sizable button top pocket, and then the ruffle and fluff. The problem that vexed me for so long? What to stuff it with! I wanted it to be packable, but to spring back. Batting is too dense and heavy. Tulle too expensive and not quite stiff enough. I finally set aside the project to focus on other things...
Then, one day, I put it on, and as I was stuffing it with yet another substrate (Plastic bags, too noisy) I had a small epiphany - Why not leave it open for the wearer to fill? Like a Victorian fanny pack, the Utility Bustle was born. This first one is a little rough, but the beautiful silver and black brocade more than makes up for it! I'm beginning to list them in my shop, what would you put in it?

No comments: