Friday, July 13, 2012

Carrot Beet Cake

  Summer time so far means beets beets and more beets every week! Now I like a simple sauteed root, and creamed greens with my dinner; but when you're overwhelmed with veggies you must get creative!

I started with crushed pineapple, and shredded carrots and beets. Added walnuts and brown sugar, eggs and flour. Except the eggs this is a copy of a vegan carrot cake I made when I worked a bakery job. (Except the beets of course!)

 The dough turned an awesome pink color and acquired a nice beety flavor. At this point someone walked in a ask what the hell it was... this, in my book, is a sign of good culinary experimentation.

 I baked the batter in a bundt pan. Just say that a few times for fun. Bundt. Bundt! The joy of a bundt pan is the center hole allowing for even cooking. With a thick batter you don't want to end up with a gooey center and burnt top.  Plus it makes those nice fluted edges...

 Which are perfect for that 50's Betty Crocker Cookbook look. I used leftover coconut icing and it even dripped down the sides of the still warm cake. So that's how they get that look! The photo makes it seem like a strangely large doughnut.
And then we place it in this exceptionally shiny fancy ass vintage cake carrier. It even says "Cake" on it, in case you were unsure where you had left the damn thing. "Oh look! It's a cake! I forgot I made one..."

This cake was for a birthday get together of a friend, so most of it was devoured by ravenous friends at the local amusement park. A good end for it! Another way to make veggies a sweet thing...

No comments: