Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Celtic Knot Capelet

I've been sitting on this lovely Donegal Tweed Aran since returning home from Ireland last year (no, not literally sitting, it's been in bins...) and I gave myself the challenge to start working thru all my "souvenirs". I had not quite enough for a regular sweater, so a capelet seemed suitable. 


I wanted to keep in the spirit of the yarn's homeland, but cables are not my style. The Celtic Knot Hat seems to be the only colorwork celtic knot pattern on Ravelry! It's a rather nice one, so not really much to complain about...
I did a spaced increase system for the yoke, knitting 2 rows then make one every 2 stitches, knitting 3 rows then make one every 3 stitches etc... up to 10. I still did increases the whole way down to give it a slight flare. When I had used up most of my yarn I did the knot pattern along the bottom, and finished it off with a few rows of seed stitch.
Before steeking the front I did four rows of slip stitch crochet, one on the first column of knit stitches to either side of the steek rows, then it was turned inside out and one row was done into the side of each column of purl stitches. 

After the steek was cut I picked up a few stitches and made two button straps to close the front. Here it is washed and blocking. (The exchange student has moved out, and I'm only a little ashamed to admit I'm happy to have a spare bed for blocking things again...)



Here it is, keeping me warm on a grey autumn day, Pink Knit, Ginger Approved!


No comments: